How Do I Know Which Licenses and Permits I Need for My Business?

Learn Which Licenses and Permits You May Need for Your Business

Learn Which Licenses and Permits You May Need for Your Business

As a business owner or an entrepreneur, you might be confused as to what licenses and permits you may need for your new business. Luckily for you, there is a website that can assist you in finding you the appropriate licenses and permit for your business. 

California Guide to Obtaining Licenses & Permits website:

On this website, you will be asked for two pieces of information: 1. Your city or county, and 2. Your business type (i.e.- restaurant, lawyer, doctor, marketing agency, etc.). After choosing your appropriate choices, you will be directed to a page listing your business permits and other requirements you will need in your appropriate county for your business type. 

Your entry will result in a page including all business permits and licenses you need for your business along with a short description of the permit and information and website regarding the office handling the permits. 

The permits and licenses section may include the following business permits and licenses:

  • Business Tax Certificate - this is required for all entities doing business within the jurisdiction. Contact Office of Business Licensing for more information. 
  • Fire Prevention Information / Inspection - Some businesses may be subject to a yearly inspection of the business. The Los Angeles County Fire Department handles this.
  • Hazardous Materials / Waste Management Program - If your business handles hazardous materials, then your business may need a permit from the City of Los Angeles Fire Department Prevention and Public Safety.
  • Land Use Permit / Zoning Clearance - Such permits are required for zone changes, variance, and conditional use permit. City of San Fernando Planning & Zoning Department may be contacted for such permit. 
  • Fictitious Business Name - Doing Business As (DBA) statement is requirement when the business name does not include the name of the individual owners. City of Los Angeles Business Name Filing and Registration handles DBA’s. 
  • Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings - If your business is considering becoming a corporation or a Limited Liability Company or Partnership, you must file with the Secretary of State’s Office.
  • Professional License - Certain professions, including attorneys, physicians, osteopathic physicians, dentists, pharmacists, veterinarians, architects, court reports, speech-language pathologists, audiologists, registered nurses, and optometrists require professional licenses.
  • Occupational Safety and Health Information - Businesses with employees may need to prepare an injury and illness prevention plan. Cal/OSHA Consultation Services handles such affairs. 
  • Registration Form for Employers - If you are a business who pays wages to employees, you may be required to file a registration form with the Employment Development Department
  • Sales & Use Permit - Also known as Seller’s Permit, all businesses selling or leasing tangible property must get a seller’s permit from the State Board of Equalization
  • State Income Tax Information - Businesses should get the proper state income tax froms from the Franchise Tax Board.
  • Employer Identification Number - Businesses with employees must get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. U.S. Department of Treasury Internal Revenue Service handles such services.

If you have any questions regarding which licenses and permits you may need for your business, contact the business lawyers at Mollaei Law for a free consultation. 

For more information on how to start your business, visit Mollaei Law’s Starting a Business page, or contact Mollaei Law